Sunday, April 24, 2011

Morning Lily


Notes on Method: I found a white, wrinkly shower curtain, one of those nylon "hotel style" liners with the steel eyes. I tacked it to a shaded wall on the back deck. The Mountains were still blocking the rising sun, so it was in shade, but it wasn't too dark. The camera made the image unrealistically warm, so I cooled it a little in Lightroom (but not to the point of "sunny"). I shot at 50mm f2, iso 200, and had plenty of shutter speed. I brought the highlights up to a little below blowing out, and then used the contrast adjustment as my main whitening tool (increasing it signifigantly), along with white balance. I used the brush to selectively sharpen the blossom, and selectively blur some of the background (this helped hide the wrinkles--too lazy to iron). Compared to full frame depth of field, this would be around 100mm at f4. If I did it again I would remove the white dog hair. At least it was white. The background appears blown with bright monitors, but it is very light grey, and prints well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Kind