Saturday, May 15, 2004

Kurt

I've always enjoyed reading Vonnegut, though I haven't read a novel of his in years. At 81 the guy still makes me laugh. His latest article is worth a look.
I know now that there is not a chance in hell of America’s becoming humane and reasonable. Because power corrupts us, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Human beings are chimpanzees who get crazy drunk on power. By saying that our leaders are power-drunk chimpanzees, am I in danger of wrecking the morale of our soldiers fighting and dying in the Middle East? Their morale, like so many bodies, is already shot to pieces. They are being treated, as I never was, like toys a rich kid got for Christmas

Here in the Mendenhall Valley, another gorgeous clear day. Still not too many bugs, temperatures in the mid sixties. Perfect for my daughter's seventh birthday party, and perfect for picking dandelions. I helped a friend the other day pick some of the ten quarts of dandelions he wanted to make five gallons of dandelion mead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be Kind