Monday, May 17, 2004

Hersh exposes Rumsfeld

I just have to join every blog in the universe and point to today's new Seymour Hersh article in the New Yorker:
The roots of the Abu Ghraib prison scandal lie not in the criminal inclinations of a few Army reservists but in a decision, approved last year by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, to expand a highly secret operation, which had been focussed on the hunt for Al Qaeda, to the interrogation of prisoners in Iraq. Rumsfeld’s decision embittered the American intelligence community, damaged the effectiveness of √©lite combat units, and hurt America’s prospects in the war on terror.

Not that I care that Rumsfeld's decision hurts our "effectiveness," but it'll be good if all this news can reaffirm the international illegality of torture.

4 comments:

  1. hey....good post......how did you find time in the middle of your daughters birthday.Whoops..yesterday was Monday.

    And today is the REAL BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

    I'll call later tonight when you are all crowded around the dining table.

    Didn't read the paper today except for the word jumble..which,of course. I solved in an instant. That I am good at..but forget crosswords or trivia fact things..I remember nothing.

    By the time I get home to the 5 pm news...I hope our world is still in one piece. Keep up the good work. Have to do a 2nd opinion at 3:30..will hang out at Merc. until then. Toodaloo.......sweet Montana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I resemble that"" this comment has been removed by the blog administrator...was that my comment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I resemble that"" this comment has been removed by the blog administrator...was that my comment?

    ReplyDelete

Be Kind